1. Oh Penny…

    This article was a perfect love letter to your community. It was beautiful. I loved your line “ But what I love most about my home isn’t just the house itself. It’s the community.” I feel the same way about our ‘hood. One of our neighbors is a writer and in her bio said something about how our neighborhood was perfect and the kind of neighborhood you thought only existed decades ago. We’re also trying to help out where we can and how we can. And I hope that our neighborhood springs back to life very shortly.

    And I’m glad you’re spending “HP’s” money on things he’d like. I’d argue that it’s not “his” money. Each year we get a $2,000 child tax credit rolled into our normal income taxes, but we don’t automatically do a $2,000 wealth transfer to each of our child (because most years we don’t get a $6k refund, and even if we did, it doesn’t seem like the tax refund is theirs because they didn’t work).

    The extra money, per kid, is a recognition that families with kids have higher expenses than singles/couples and I think it was an attempt to help tide bigger families over longer. Just like the $2k tax credit is a structural way to compensate for this.

    We’re still saving and investing lots for our kids, and I think it’s great your saving for HP. I just think you shouldn’t need to feel like the money is HP’s like you would a gift from a grandparent. It’s like they made the child tax credit $2500 this year instead of $2000.

    • I’m not sure if you’ve made the case extra well for Peppa Pig World or convinced me to take the $500 and buy all the eye cream in the world for this exhausted momma with it! 😉 I kid!

      We will spend his money slowly but surely…except I am going to click SO FAST when his preschool classes are open for registration again!

  2. One of our relatives used his to refinance his mortgage to a lower interest rate which I thought was a great idea as it will help them keep the house and will lower their monthly payment so they’ll have more disposable income.

    • That is great! The problem for us is that I’m pretty positive we wouldn’t spend the money. We’ve tried to relax our spending in our budget to account for more charitable giving and more local spending, but I’m so programmed to not spend, that the local spending part is hard. For us, the stimulus check is easier to spend, since it was never part of the money plan.

      Sounds like a great plan for your relative! 🙂

  3. Sherrie Nicholson

    First, I love your blog, I find it very motivating and informative. I found you through a J$ post and immediately subscribed.
    We put 2,000 of our stimulus in our savings as it needed beefing up, We will need a new roof in the very near future. We are planning to spend the additional $400 on local eateries and tip like crazy! We just refinanced our mortgage and closed in February.
    Keep up the good work on the blog!

    • Hi, Sherrie!

      Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. That made my day! And YES! Good on you for beefing up savings. Roofs (and houses!) are so pricey! YIKES! Love the idea still setting aside a chunk to eat out and tip very well. Be well! <3

  4. It’s hard to have this mentality when the “leaders” of our society do not. We all have to do our part to keep all of our nation’s systems running properly.

  5. Excellent Post! I love saving money but think there are times when spending money is just as important. So many people in this country have undergone tough circumstances and spending will help revitalize our economy again.

    Still, I will likely pay off some save about 75 percent of it. The other 25 percent will be spent on buying food and items from my community.

    • After spending so frivolously for so long, it’s hard for me to adopt a “just spend it” mentality. But we’re in a position where spending and donating makes the most sense for us.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.