The great debate over side hustling continues. It probably always will. Somehow, the post in which I call side hustling stupid landed in the Sweet 16 round of Rockstar Finance Rumble. To celebrate the unexpected journey this post has taken me on, I thought I would share another side hustling story and spotlight some other bloggers and their takes on side hustling.
Saying Goodbye to a Side Hustle
I’m pretty sure my best-paying side hustle ended two days ago. I had prepped the lesson and made copies. My husband had rearranged his schedule to be home to watch our son that evening. I swallowed my dinner whole without chewing (that has less to do with side hustling than it does with being the mother of an infant who goes bananas if anyone eats anything in front of him without sharing). Then, I saw a notification on my phone. I had one new email, 47 minutes before I was supposed to tutor.
The email came specifically after I had said that I could not accommodate last-minute cancellations. After I discussed the importance of a consistent schedule, illness and emergency not withstanding. After they had said they absolutely understood and would love to meet on Wednesday. The email was a single line of text:
I lost it. The timid doormat who would have apologized unnecessarily and decided it was because I had failed as a tutor didn’t reply. Someone else did. That someone else is the person who now realizes that side hustles matter, but they can also be really draining, frustrating, and just plain dumb.
I said the only way I would consider tutoring in the future would be if I received a tentative schedule for the month and payment for the missed session, as well as payment for any other sessions that were cancelled at the last minute in the future. I had nothing else to lose and only my dignity to gain, so I clicked send.
And this is the answer I got:
So far, though, nothing further has been said. And you had better believe I won’t be the first to reply.
Side Hustle Shout Outs & A Favor
Here are some really fantastic posts on the good and bad of side hustling from other bloggers. In case you missed them the first time, give them a look here!
- 35 Rewarding Side Hustles from Making Momentum
- Breadwinning Mom: Hannah Rounds from Chief Mom Officer
- Finance Friday: Yes, I Have a Side Gig from Tenacious Feminist
- January 2018 Side Hustle Report – $1,147.67 from Financial Panther
- Side Hustle Tips: Finding Great Deals at Garage Sales from Financial Pilgrimage
- Why a Side Hustle Can Take Your Finances to the Next Level from Spills Spot
These friends were featured before but are worth another click!
- 5 Reasons Why Doctors Should Have a Side Hustle from White Coat Investor
- Hobbylancing Your Way to Freedom from Two Cup House
- How Teaching Yoga is Like Multilevel Marking from Our Next Life
- Hustle in Your 20s to be Financially Independent in Under 10 Years from Birds of a FIRE
- My Ridiculous Love Affair with Side Hustles from DiverseFi
- Personal Finance Confessions: I Don’t Have a Side Hustle from Graduated Learning
- Quitting the Hustle for Good from Our Next Life
- Stuff Your Retirement Account with Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme from Baby Boomer Super Saver
- Ways I’ve Made Money from NZ Muse
- Why I Suddenly Quit My Awesome Side Hustle from Tread Lightly, Retire Early
- Winning on Both Sides of the Ball from White Coat Investor
If you would be so kind, consider voting for my post (“Hustle) in Game 7 of the Rockstar Finance Rumble. But before you vote “Hustle”, I would be remiss if I didn’t also tell you to scope out the competition. So, make sure to swing by the post by Matt at Optimize Your Life.
So Tell Me…Have you ever had to turn down a side hustle?