To celebrate my move to the Sweet 16 spot in the Rockstar Finance Rumble, I thought I would update this post with a few more bloggers and their takes on side hustling. Hop down to the bottom to see the full list!
Last year, I boldly declared the stupidity of the side hustle. I didn’t expect what could easily read as an affront to a darling of the personal finance community to go over well. It definitely wasn’t in line with the whole “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all” mentality (sorry, Mom!). Little did I know, though, that the post would resonate with bloggers and readers so much so that I’ve managed to make it through the first few rounds of the Rockstar Finance Rumble. All of this hoopla (Can I call it hoopla if it’s me re-reading my own post twice?) has got me wondering something: Do I still think side hustles are stupid?
The Glitz of the Hustle
It’s not sweat that you see. No, no. That’s a side hustler glistening. When I read incredible debt payoff posts (or write them and toot my own horn!) or serendipitous stories of side hustles that just fall into someone’s lap (like Jane from Cash Fasting and her incredible and unexpected hustle), I can see the glisten. Truly, I can.
Multiple income streams are powerful. They pay down debt. They open doors. They can lead to cash, career moves, and confidence. In my experience, though, they’re also a lot of work and aggravation.
The State of My Side Hustles
On the surface, my side hustles are going well. But that’s the surface. Take writing for instance. I am officially a professional writer. BOOM! But of the handful of freelancing gigs that I have, only one pays very well and regularly. I have made thousands of dollars re-selling all of the nonsense I never should have bought on Poshmark and Tradesy and ThredUp and local sites (oh my!). But I have also watched these sites take a bigger and bigger piece of the money pie over time. Not to mention the creepy encounter with a foot fetishist on Poshmark. Then, there’s tutoring. It’s an extension of my passion. It’s also a great way to get sick.
Perhaps the problem is that I haven’t found the perfect side hustle. Or perhaps the problem is that it doesn’t exist.
A Request & Some Recommendations
If you would be so kind, consider voting for my post (“Hustle) in Game 7 of the Rockstar Finance Rumble. But before you vote “Hustle”, I would be remiss if I didn’t also tell you to scope out the competition. So, make sure to swing by the post by Matt at Optimize Your Life.
And if you’re looking for some other thoughts on side hustles, check out these links:
- 5 Reasons Why Doctors Should Have a Side Hustle from White Coat Investor
- Hobbylancing Your Way to Freedom from Two Cup House
- How Teaching Yoga is Like Multilevel Marking from Our Next Life
- How To Earn Extra Cash on the Side from Real Money Robert
- Hustle in Your 20s to be Financially Independent in Under 10 Years from Birds of a FIRE
- My Ridiculous Love Affair with Side Hustles from DiverseFi
- Personal Finance Confessions: I Don’t Have a Side Hustle from Graduated Learning
- Quitting the Hustle for Good from Our Next Life
- Stuff Your Retirement Account with Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme from Baby Boomer Super Saver
- Ways I’ve Made Money from NZ Muse
- Why I Suddenly Quit My Awesome Side Hustle from Tread Lightly, Retire Early
- Winning on Both Sides of the Ball from White Coat Investor
So Tell Me…How are you feeling about side hustling lately?